Have you ever thought about eating a stew without tomatoes? Or even a Jollof rice. It is right to say many people that use it in their meals are not aware of the health benefits of tomatoes.
Tomatoes may not be indigenous fruit, but since they are homegrown, it is safe to say we cannot do without them as long as we wish to prepare a delicious healthy meal; we need to make use of tomatoes.
Below are some reasons you need to add tomatoes to your meal from time to time.
1. Promotes Healthy Bone: Including tomatoes in your diet is one of the ways you can protect yourself against bone related disease as it contains vitamin K, potassium and calcium.
2. Protect the eyes: your body needs a good amount of vitamin A daily and tomatoes is a good source. Aside from this, it also contains beta-carotene, lutein and lycopene antioxidants that will help with your sight protection.
3. Antioxidants presence: Antioxidants protects your body by preventing damages free radicals may cause. Each time you include tomatoes in your diet, you are getting tomatoes contain Vitamin C, alpha-lipoic acid, lycopene, choline, folic acid, beta-carotene, lutein.
4. Lowers Cholesterol: The vitamin B and potassium in tomatoes helps lower LDL, which is bad cholesterol and help increase HDL, the good cholesterol in the body.
5. Promotes Healthy Skin: Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C hence they aid the production of collagen which is very essential to the skin.
So next time you want to include tomatoes in your stew, soup or jollof rice, don’t think you are just making your meal tasty but think about the health benefits.