Do you also spit out the seeds as you eat watermelon? I doubt you will do this if you are aware of the amazing benefits of watermelon seeds
To be sincere, eating watermelon seeds as you eat the fruit itself is like a spoiler. But there is a solution to that, you can eat your watermelon without seeds and still gain the benefits of watermelon seeds.
You can roast them, yes, roasted watermelon seeds may be something you never thought of, but they are actually crispy and low in calorie, making for a healthy snack.
How to roast watermelon seeds
Roasting the seeds is easy and stress-free, you only need to put them into a pan or baking sheet, set the oven to 325°F and leave to roast. You may also add a little olive oil and salt to give it a better taste.
Benefits of watermelon seeds
1. Low calorie: If you are watching your calorie consumption, you may need to worry about the type of snack you eat, but with watermelon seeds, you can enjoy a healthy snack in peace, at least, without having to worry about too many calories. A large handful of watermelon seeds weigh about 4 grams, which contains about 56 seeds and just 22 calories. Far less than a bag of potato chips!
2. Iron: Getting enough iron is important as iron is needed by the body to carry oxygen through the body. A handful of the seeds contain about 0.29mg which is small as 18mg is recommended a day. But getting 0.29mg from seeds you would throw away is surely better than nothing.
3. Good fats: watermelon seeds are a good source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, but are classified as good fats that are needed to protect the heart.
4. Folate: Folate is also known as vitamin B-9 and it is essential to make the brain function properly. A single serving of these seeds contains about 2 μ of folate. This means you will be getting 2 out of the recommended 400μ a day.
5. Magnesium: A serving of 4 of 4 gram of watermelon contains 4 grams of magnesium.
So if you cannot chew your seeds, you can roast and make a snack out of them. Hope you will keep this in mind next time you are eating watermelon