Ask a lot of people what onions are used for, and they will tell you it’s an ingredient added to meals. Except for some few people who find the sight of onions in food offensive, onions could add more flavour to your meal, giving it a more pleasant aroma and awesome taste.
However, a lot of people are oblivious of the importance of consuming onions, not just as an addendum to a meal, but consuming it whole.
The truth is, as beneficial as onions are, we cannot get the uttermost benefits if all we do is add them to our meal while cooking.
This is where onion salad comes in. Salads are good, not just good they are also healthy.
Making onion salad is simple and easy and also, you will not have to stress yourself to get the primary ingredient as onions are always available in the market.
You may be wondering the reason anyone will want to endure the smell of onions just to make a salad. Well, the health benefits of onions are many.
Onions are rich in antioxidants which help the body fight free radicals and ward off disease. Onion also helps in controlling blood sugar level as a high level of onion could mean lower glucose. The onion is also good for the heart as it contains quercetin which helps in lowering blood pleasure.
The benefits of onions are many so there is a need to find a way around the bad breathe and tears in order to consume more, especially as a salad.
Here is a step by step process of preparing onion salad
- ¼ bunch of parsley(chopped)
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp sumac
- Slice onions into a half moon shape in a pot.
- Sprinkle salt and sumac on the onion slices. Rub the sprinkled onions with your hands.
- Add the chopped parsley to the mixture.
- Squeeze half lemon and add extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the content of the pot properly.
- The onion salad is ready.
- The onion salad can be eaten alone has a whole meal or appetizer, with spaghetti, a hot bowl of rice, grilled meat, fish or with cream.