A GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE TAGGED:
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AND ADVOCACY: A TOOL FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
VENUE: The conference will hold at the Lagos State University Main Campus, Ojo, Lagos, Nigeria.
Environmental issues continue to be on the front burner of our discussions and consciousness as it is now as clear as crystal that the rate at which the physical, chemical and biological properties of earth is been degraded is at an alarming rate. The destructive processes are not only continuous but are increasing both in quantum and in rate. While some of the impacts are not easily evident(gradual) such as climate change, there are others that are rapid and spontaneous around the world today. Communities are being consumed by coastal and gully erosion, sea incursion, bush fires etc.
The Environmental Conference is an initiative of The *Geography and Planning Students’Association (GAPSA-LASU)* which is the first of its kind, aimed at bringing together over 4000 participants, 200 stakeholders, Civic Leaders, Nation Builders, Environmentalist, Government Agencies and Officials across Nigeria and beyond to share ideas, knowledge and proffer solutions to menace of environmental challenges ranging on Sanitation, Climate Change, Recycling and Waste Management, as well as deliberate on environmental issues confronting Nigeria. On the day of the conference, several young individuals will be looking at environmental problems from different angles, all in the bid to proffering workable solutions, build capacity of young people to establish climate-friendly smart businesses and also interactive sessions with experts in the field of environment. The conference would also provide an avenue for the exhibition of eco friendly products.
Participants at this conference will be rejuvenated, inspired and motivated to attain new level of success in the environmental industry through enhanced educational opportunities, development of ideas for research, establishment of collaboration and get new strategies to further address the Nigerian environmental narrative.
– A new initiative is born out which will ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern environmental services through advocacy, activism and policy reforms.
– Agitate for an all inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable activities.
– Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all ages.
– Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact.
– Enlightenment on the Conservative and sustainable use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
– Sustainable forest management, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss.
– Reinvigoration of the youth base to be more ecofriendly and protect their immediate environment
Furthermore, the conference will give room for the launching of an initiative to tackle some of the environmental related degradations such as:
Indiscriminate Disposal of Wastes
Climate Change among other problems.