The old proverb ‘the proof of the pudding is in the eating’ is especially true when for bitter kola as you need to eat the right amount to enjoy the powerful health benefits of bitter kola. For some other types of kola like kolanut or wonderful kola, one may want to ask how they got their names, but with bitter kola, the reason for the name is the taste. Yea right, bitter kola is bitter, but as bitter as it is, but cannot be ignored as far as natural medicine is concerned.
Although bitter, some people still cannot do without it, in fact, some people, especially elderly people munch on bitter kola at random every day, no wonder they hardly fall sick as bitterkola is rich in antioxidant and antibiotic properties capable of fighting some disease.
A report from the center of International Forestry Research said some tribes and villages still see bitterkola as very important. Bitter kola has many benefits that some people who are used to eating it are not even aware of. Some of these benefits are:
1. It is Potent Against STDs and other Infections: Sexually transmitted diseases are contracted through sexual intercourse, mostly unprotected intercourse. Bitter kola is potent against these diseases because of its anti-bacterial properties. It also cleanses the body and enhances the functions of the gallbladder and the liver.
2. It Fights Against Malaria: Malaria is an epidemic in these part of the world and it is no news that some anti-malaria drugs are now weak against the disease. The good news is that there are some natural remedies that can effectively treat malaria and bitter kola is one of them. It contains a property called Kolaviron, Kolaviron is an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemical.
3. It improves the Functions of the Lung: Bitter kola can effectively treat chest cold and asthma, this is one of the reasons some singers rely on it in order to get the best of their vocal abilities. And if you are a smoker, bitter kola is good for you too.
4. Glaucoma Treatment: Glaucoma could lead to permanent blindness if not treated well. Since glaucoma occurs as a result of increased pressure within the eyeball, bitterkola, when taken, helps reduce the pressure and makes the vision clearer.
5. It enhances Sexual Performance: when taken like an hour before sexual intercourse, bitterkola could improve sexual performance, especially in men.
Bitterkola, however, must be taken in appropriate quantity, excessive intake must be avoided.