Being a naturalista is fun until you have this urge to have a change of style. Well, having an urge to change your hair could be fun too, you just need to be furnished with an idea of what to do.
Having natural hair is safe, you are protected from harmful chemicals that could damage your hair and which may lead to health implications. But it also places a responsibility on you to feed and nurture your hair so it will be healthy.
Protective hairstyles are one way to protect your natural curls against harsh weather conditions and help you retain length and moisture.
So when you decide to have protective here styles, here are some options you could choose from.
1. Get ‘Braidy’: After sitting for some hours to get it done, you are in control of your hair. You can throw it down in an informal way or pack it up and still look professional.
Another advantage of braid is that it gives you access to your scalp. In case you need to moisturize or use any treatment, you can easily access your scalp.
2. Cornrows: if there is anything I love about this hairstyle, it is the fact that you don’t need to bother yourself with packing and styling. Cornrows are like braid, just in different forms. You can use an attachment for it or make use of Brazilian wool.
A note of warning: you must ensure your scalp is well moisturized, especially your edges. A dry scalp may lead to flakes which may in turn cause damage to your edges.
3. Twist It: You can simply twist your own natural hair. Like braids, you get access to your scalp, but unlike braid, twisting the natural hair is lighter and easier to maintain.
4. Get A Wig: I love wigs, they make out life easier. All you need do is weave your natural hair into some rows and maintain your wig. With a wig, you get to protect your hair from weather and pollution while you pull it off and enjoy some fresh air when you are home.
5. Use a Scarf: Scarfs or turban are good for one thing, they help retain moisture, especially during the harmattan.